Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spread the Word to End the Word

Today I took a trip far outside my comfort zone.  I went to the Elmwood Murdock Elementary school with Ben, and we did 3 different Spread the Word to End the Word Presentations to the K-6 Students at the school.  I have not spoken in front of any group for about 20 plus years, so it was a little bit intimidating at first, but I had John's 4-H Powerpoint that I changed up a bit, to help guide what I was going to say. 

First we introduced the kids to someone with an intellectual disability (Ben), told a bit about the Special Olympics, and them asked them to take the pledge.  


The kids were great, and Ben was a ham working the crowd giving fist bumps and high fives. 

  In the pledge I challenged the kids to do two things.  1. Don't use the word retard(ed) to refer to anyone or anything, and 2) to tell others not to use it either.  When I asked if there was anyone in the room that would like to sign the pledge banner the hands went up very quickly. 

The kids did a good job of paying attention, and asked some great questions. 

We ended up with a banner that was pretty full of signatures. 

The offical day for the Spread the Word to End the word campaign is tomorrow, but Ben has therapy so it worked out better for us to go to school today.  I would like to thank Mr. Frederich and all the teachers for letting us come and making us feel so welcome.  I would also like to thank Monica from Monkey Musings for doing a presentation like this last year an blogging about it.  You gave me the inspiration, and courage and permission to use your idea and I am thankful that you did.  It was way eaiser than I thought it would be. Now I would like to challenge other blogging parents to think about doing a presentation at your school. 

 If you would like to pleade to Spread the Word to End the Word on-line please click here.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful Angie. Thanks so much for sharing this message with my kids and all the others at Elmwood-Murdock. You're an amazing person with an amazing son!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by. We love hearing from you!