Saturday, May 1, 2010

Learning is good

Back in February on a cold and icky day, I went around the house and took pictures of many of the objects that Ben uses on a daily basis.  I added the name of the object on each picture, then color printed, laminated and cut them into individual cards.  Ben loves looking at his cards. 
At the same time I uploaded the pictures to SnapFish, and ordered 2 copies of each of them, in hopes of making a matching game.   We received the pictures some time ago, but I have yet to get anything done with them.  We do go through and name the items in the pictures every now and then, but have not really gotten a chance to work with them on a regular basis.   Here are a few of his cards






Yesterday Ben was looking at his cards and held one of them up to his ear and started speaking very in a very animated way.  I could not figure out what he was doing until I caught a glimpse of which picture he was holding.  Here is the picture:
  Now Ben has been known to take any device with buttons (calculator, remote, etc) and pretend it was a phone, but this was the first time I had seen him take a picture of a real object and interact with it in the correct way.  I was very excited.  Now I really do need to get those cards laminated. 

The other thing I want to comment on is today's popular music.  Now I am sure that back when we were young, there were plenty of songs that our parents wished we did not listen to, due to their questionable lyrics.  In fact I can vividly remember listening to "Hungry Like the Wolf" when my Mom was around one day and having a conversation where she expressed similar concerns to the ones I have today.  (Yes I know I am dating my self by saying this.)  But then those songs seemed to be more the exception not the norm.  Today however, it seems like every song that comes on the radio needs to be censored in one way or another, and that does bother me.   

One of the most recent violators is the song Bedrock.   It came on the radio the other day while we were in the car, and I promptly turned to another station.  However, both my 11 and 7 year olds continued to sing it without missing a beat, or a word.  Until the chorus came up.  John sang the chorus correctly, and little Noah sang "I can make your bed right now".   That is right little Noah.  You have the lyrics exact correct.  Now go make your bed!   Later I asked John if he knew what they meant by bed rock .  He replied with the most innocent smile on his face "Isn't bedrock the layer of rock right below sedimentary rock?"  Now I am sure he knows more than he is letting on, but thanks for at least giving me the illusion that you are still a sweet little boy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by. We love hearing from you!