Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Too Close to Being a Teenager

Belated birthday wishes go out to John, our oldest son, who turned 12 last week.  He is growing up so fast, and some times I think he already has the attitude of a teenager.
For Christmas he wanted an iPod touch.  However, since I have a strict policy that I will not buy better technology for my kids than I currently own, I told him he could save money and buy one for himself.  This had to be a safe bet right?  There is no way he could save/ earn over $200 very fast, so I thought he would be saving most of the year.
I was wrong,
He had it earned/ saved/ was gifted $275 by Christmas Eve. 

He ordered one, and got it the week before his birthday.  But a day before it arrived he made a big mistake.  He lied that his homework was done and played PlayStation before going to his game.  The rule at our house is that homework and piano are done before TV, video games or sports events.  At his game I found out from another mother that some very difficult homework had been assigned.  So on the way home from the game, I asked him about it.  He said "Oh yea, that was too hard, and I needed help, so I don't have that homework done.  
What?
So in addition to losing PlayStation privileges, I also refused to set up his iTunes account which meant no apps for his iPod touch.  (It worked out pretty good because I was not about to put my credit card information on his account, and risk having unlimited amounts charged to it.)    It was torture for him to be able to see all the cool apps he could get, but not download any of them.   Finally for his Birthday we got him a small iTunes gift card so he could finish setting up the iTunes account and download a few apps.  The iPod touches are pretty cool even with out apps, but even I have to admit that some of the apps are way cool.  I can't wait to use it to find some learning apps for Ben. 
Anyway here are some pictures of my oldest, taken at some of his basketball games lately along with one of my favorites from this summer. 



I just wish I could talk him into a hair cut like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by. We love hearing from you!